BACK to Dog
Tricks, Tips and Insights home page
- Pharaoh Hounds are the only dogs that blush. They do this when they are excited or happy; and their ears, nose and eyes become pink.
- According to Breed All About It (a television show), Royalty and The
Rich used to like little dogs for an unusual reason. They would put the
little lap dog under the covers before retiring so that bedbugs, fleas,
etc., would go onto the dog instead of themselves!
- Dogs and humans are the only animals with prostates.
- The Maui Grown Market is a convenience store in Hawaii. Tourists and locals can stop in for souvenirs, food, drink, and suntan lotion. They can also borrow one of the store's eleven dogs for the day.
- Bulldog puppies are delivered by caeserean section because of their
- Don't smile at any dog that you feel may be dangerous. To him, you would
be baring your teeth as a sign of agression.
- The Great Pyrenees dogs are so sensitive to anesthesia that it can kill
them. Great caution is required for any surgery for this breed.
- A dog bite is less likely to cause infection than a human bite, although
most little humans don't need to be quarantined for rabies.
- Dalmations, with all those cute black spots, are born white.
- The Basenji doesn't bark.
- Chow Chows have bluish black tongues and gums (which start out pink but
turn dark by eight weeks).
- Newfoundlands have webbed feet, making them great swimmers and divers.
- Bassets can't swim. Their legs are too short to keep their heavy, long
- Dogs should never eat chocolate. Just a small amount can kill them.
- Chow Chows were originally bred for three reasons: 1) of course, for a
great pet/hunter/helper; 2) to keep people warm with their furry hides;
and 3) as food (like pigs or cows).
- Aluminum foil and balloons should not be given to a dog or left around
where he can get to them. If a dog swallows too large a piece of either,
he could suffocate because they will never dissolve.
- The Afghan Hound is mentioned in writings as far back as 4000 B.C., and
its name can be translated as "baboon" or "monkey-faced
hound." Despite the unflattering name, he was a favorite of royalty.
- The Bloodhound doesn't need to smell blood to find someone who is lost.
It is said that his name instead means blooded hound, or aristocratic.
- The gigantic Irish Wolfhound is so strong that he can pick up a Mastiff
or Bulldog. When he was pitted against either in a fight, he would pick
his opponent up by the back and simply shake him to death.
- Rhodesian Ridgebacks have an actual ridge along the top of their backs,
which is made up of forward-growing hairs.
- The Saluki is represented in Sumarian carvings dated back to 7000 B.C.
It is said that "Whenever one sees the word 'dog' in the Bible it
means the Saluki."
- The Boxer was so named for his manner of fighting - which is that he
starts a fight with his front paws like a human boxer.
- There are no calories or chocolate in a chocolate lab.